Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Tuesday Encouragements...


Being Still

 

One of my favorite Bible verses is Psalm 46:10: Be still, and know that I am God. If ever this message was needed, it is in the hectic, fast paced world we live in today.

With so many things claiming pieces of our time, most of us are running at full speed nonstop. Even when we lay down to sleep, our thoughts are busy on what must be done the following day. I hate to admit this, but even someone who is retired like me can find it hard to slow down and be still. Between deadlines and editing, the days fly by.

That is until Friday.

On Friday our nine year old granddaughter comes to visit and everything stills. It’s been that way since she was born. We devote the entire day to her and whatever she wants to do. It doesn’t matter how silly it may be. We’ve built ant homes. Searched for fairies. Tried to create a gummy pill that would turn us into kitties. Wherever her imagination takes her, we’ve done it all and it has been just as much fun for us old folks as it was for her.  So on Friday’s the fast paced world can just speed by without us.

This last week, our granddaughter taught both my husband and myself a very valuable lesson in the importance of being still. With the weather producing a picture perfect summer day outside, we couldn’t stay in this house for long. Before we knew it we were staring up at blue skies and watching puffy white clouds float by.

I’d forgotten how much fun it is to find the hidden imagines in clouds. A dinosaur. A lion. A ship. There all there if you look. If you haven’t sat outside and watched the clouds go by, I suggest you do it as soon as possible because it is cathartic.

You can literally feel the stress seeping from your body. Soon, I forgot all about looming deadlines as we laughed and spotted the blessings of God in the clouds above.

When my granddaughter asked if I thought God spoke to us in clouds, I said absolutely. He certainly had spoken to us that day once we grew still and realized God is everywhere around us, waiting for us to seek Him out and bless us with the gift of stillness.

So in this busy world we live in, I hope you have your Friday. If you don’t, then you should create one. Be still. Know He is God.

 

All the best…

 

Mary Alford
www.maryalford.net

  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Author Melanie Snitker

   When she published Finding Peace, the first book in the Love’s Compass series, in 2015, Melanie D. Snitker had no idea just how many p...